By Lauren Ferrone
Last updated on: June 21, 2018 at 9:42 am
Forget family SUVs – a good wagon can get your tribe safely from A to B, and none do this better than the Kia Carnival SLi – the back-to-back winner of the Best Family Wagon category.
What sets it apart from the rest
Wider than other wagons, judges were impressed by the size of the Carnival (it can carry up to 8 average-sized adults) when parked alongside runner-up the Honda Odyssey.
What it’s got
- Multi-power, adjustable, heated leather front seats.
- A removal centre seat in the second row.
- Four child restraint anchor points.
- Foldable back seats that create enormous storage space.
- An electric park brake instead of foot-operated brake.
- A new infotainment unit, including Apple CarPlay and Android Auto apps via an 8-inch touchscreen
- Autonomous emergency braking, lane-departure warning, active cruise control and six airbags, including curtain airbags covering all three rows (these safety features now come on all Carnival models).
- A boot that automatically opens when you approach the car with the key fob in your pocket.
What it’s like to drive
The Carnival was recently fitted with a new 8-speed auto transmission and received upgrades to its suspension to improve ride and handling.
While steering is still fairly light and lifeless on the road, it makes low-speed manoeuvring a breeze.
Is this the car for you?
For one that’ll keep you and your family safe and has a fair amount of comfort and style, the Carnival’s a promising purchase.
How the finalists fared against the Kia Carnival SLi