By Lauren Ferrone
Last updated on: June 21, 2018 at 9:32 am
Simple and steady wins the race – and that couldn’t be more true for Volvo which has been awarded Best AWD SUV priced between $65,000 and $125,000.
What sets it apart from the rest
The XC60’s lower price made it the best value package in the class. Plus, as an extremely driveable vehicle with a comfortable and luxurious interior, the judges kept piling on the scores.
What it’s like to drive
The all-wheel-drive system is fitted across the range and driving is surprisingly smooth.
On the bitumen, you aren’t really conscious that you’re driving an SUV. Off-road, it didn’t do as well on dirt and in the mud – mainly due to its city-road tyres, which make traction difficult.
What it’s got
- A start/stop engine that’s operated by twisting a knob.
- An upmarket interior feel and look, with a mix of woodgrain panels and leather.
- A boot that opens with the swipe of a foot under the bumper.
- An easy-to-use customisable, dash-mounted tablet screen to access the infotainment system.
- Class-leading seats, in terms of both comfort and materials.
- Impressive safety technology, including autonomous emergency braking; oncoming lane mitigation, which steers the vehicle away from a potential head-on crash; and intersection collision avoidance that automatically applies the brakes if the driver turns in front of an oncoming vehicle.
Is this the car for you?
With functionality and affordability on its side, the judges said driving this SUV is just as simple and convenient for busy families.
How the finalists fared against Volvo’s CX60 D4 Inscription