By Lauren Ferrone
Published: Thursday, June 21, 2018
The Kia Sorento GT-Line has returned as the Best AWD SUV priced between $50,000–$65,000, after a model update late last year.
What sets it apart from the rest
In such a large and hotly-contested category, it’s the Sorento’s consistently high standards over all aspects of long-term ownership (value for money, design and function, and on-road ability) that makes it a worthy class winner in this year’s Australia’s Best Car awards.
What it’s like to drive
The diesel versions get an all-new conventional-style, 8-speed automatic transmission. Having two extra gears helps the 2.2L turbo-diesel deliver strong performance and general driveability, both on and off the road.
Kia’s local engineering team has worked to fine tune the suspension and make it better suited to Australian road conditions. The end result is a compliant, controlled ride that is among the best in the class.
Even more noticeable is the Sorento’s good fuel consumption, plus a smoother and quieter ride than its rivals.
Space and comfort are both considered among the best in class. Leg room in the third row, which is an area many vehicles in this class fall short, is relatively good in the Sorento, but could still be tight for large adults to travel long distances.
What it’s got
- Advanced safety technologies, like autonomous emergency braking, a forward-collision warning system, lane keep assist, driver attention alert, rear-view camera and hill start assist.
- Blind spot detection and cross-traffic alert also come with this range-topping variant.
- A well-appointed interior with leather trim, creating a luxury feel.
- A premium sound system.
- Easy-to-use and reach controls, including a 360-degree camera view of the driver’s surroundings.
- LED headlights that turn with the steering to help the driver see where they’re headed.
Is this the car for you?
With relatively affordable running and repair costs, and the reassurance of seven years capped-price servicing, there’ll be peace of mind for those considering buying Kia’s latest SUV.
How the finalists fared against the Kia Sorento GT-Line