By Lauren Ferrone
Published: Thursday, June 21, 2018
Currently Ford’s best-selling model and one of the best sellers in this class, the Ranger has dominated Australia’s Best Cars 4x4 Dual Cab Ute category since its inclusion in the program in 2013 – and this year is no different.
What sets it apart from the rest
Towing ability is important in a ute, and this is just one area where the XLT shines. It has a class-leading towing capacity of up to 3500kg and comes with a towbar and trailer sway control as standard. Combine that with a generously proportioned tray and a recently announced 5-year, unlimited kilometre warranty, and this Ranger is almost unstoppable.
What it’s like to drive
Whether on-road or lugging its way through the bush, the Ranger’s 3.2L, 5-cylinder turbo-diesel engine is gutsy and up for almost any challenge. You’d be forgiven for forgetting you’re behind the wheel of a ute though, as the Ranger feels more like a luxury car.
What it’s got
- Full-length side curtain airbags.
- Ford’s latest-generation SYNC 3 entertainment and communications systems, with voice recognition.
- An 8-inch colour touchscreen with pinch and swipe capability.
- A 230-volt inverter power outlet in the cabin.
- A premium look, great build quality and equal-best-in-class cabin space.
- A good level of standard equipment, including a rear-view camera, rain-sensing wipers and tyre-pressure monitoring; however, it is one of the most pricey utes the judges tested.
Is this the car for you?
The Ford Ranger XTL has stamped its authority in this class; but if you’re considering buying one, it might be best to wait until next year as Ford will be announcing powerful new engines providing up to 500Nm of torque, a 10-speed auto, advanced driver assistance features, and other improvements.
How the finalists fared against the Ford Ranger XLT
Top photo: Shannon Morris